Friday, November 11, 2011

A History of (how I know) God - Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I began to know God in Sunday school at a humble church called St. Marks Evangelical Lutheran Church, off of West 7th Street in St. Paul. It was in walking distance from my house, and filled with a handful of mostly old, fellow neighbors, led by an amazing and humble pastor, Pastor Walt.

I remember sitting in the dusty sunday school rooms, singing "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so". This slowly became the theme song of my faith. I knew no matter what that Jesus loved me, the later line "for the Bible tells me so" was something I always struggled with. Yes the Bible said so, but Jesus also showed me every day by answering my deepest purest prayers.

The second most pivotal thing I learned about God was that He was my Father. Not just MY father, but EVERYONE's Father. That was huge for me! My dad was never around growing up, he struggled with a drug addiction, and thankfully decided to distance me from him because of it. God being my Father meant I had a Father who WAS always with me. Not only that, but it also meant that everyone was my brother or sister! Another thing I lacked growing up with in my home. My only brother is 18 years older than me so I was raised as an only child and also longed for siblings. SO bada bing bada boom! In one revolutionizing thought all of my deepest prayers were already answered by God, I did have a father! And I had brothers and sisters everywhere! One of them, had died for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment