Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Deuteronomy

Well, I've made it through Deuteronomy - a book I really liked actually. Like I mentioned in my last post, I feel like I finally started seeing the heart of God as revealed in the New Testament through Jesus. God promises to be God, and the Israelites promise to be His people. But wow- thank you Lord for sending jesus to fulfill this promise because we were in such bondage to the law, which seems so simple yet is so impossible to follow.

I couldn't help but feel like I could never measure up to all of the laws and rules, and I kept thinking wow, am I a failure? Do Christians still need to follow these laws?

And after reading some New Testament passages, like those found in  1 Colossians and 1 Corinthians, I am glad to learn that to follow the law is to lead yourself to death (precisely because it's soi mpossible to follow), but tht we have been set free from the condemnation of the law if we accept Jesus' sacrifice. That instead, we are to be led and to follow the Spirit through Jesus Christ. That to follow the spirit means to not need law. That all of our failures to follow the Law have been forgiven, completely forgiven. Now we are called to be liberated and to follow through the Holy Spirit. How amazing? God has not only forgiven us for our failure, but has given us new life, a new way to worship him- from our heart rather than out of duty.

Praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment